Astral projection occurs when you consciously separate your soul or astral body from your physical body.
Your consciousness goes with the astral body. Its difference with an out-of body experience is that astral projection leaves the body with an conscious intent and can last as long as you want it to.
When you astral project, your body is left behind in the physical world, functioning as normally as it would otherwise. A silver cord (which attaches your physical body to the astral body) keeps you connected.
Astral projection is not the same as dreaming. Everything is in real life and time, that is you are in your room or where you laid down to do it.
Any beings you encounter are real and simply living on the astral plane as opposed to the Prime Material plane as it’s called.
There are so many things to do while astral projecting including:
Helping lost souls find their way to the after-life.
Have conversations and encounters with deceased relatives.
Going back in time .
Visiting with friends who were also astral.
Traveling and exploring the planet.
There are two general schools of thought on the nature of astral projection.
These can broadly be defined as the mystical model and the phasing model:
1. The Phasing Model – Defines that the external reality is actually an internally created state. This basically means that when a person projects, they actually "phase" into another area of consciousness and the locales it contains.
This can be likened to tuning a radio to another station.
2.The Mystical Model – Believes that astral projection takes place outside of the actual physical body.
In this model, a more subtle energy body is believed to carry the consciousness outside of the physical body. Consciousness is transferred into a secondary "energy" body (the etheric body) to allow travel into the astral planes.
Astral Projection Techniques
There are several ways to astral project. They differ in nature and some will find a certain method more suited to their liking. For all techniques describe, one pre-exquisite is a deep level of relaxation (trance state). The most three common techniques are as follow:
The Rope Technique
1. Pin a length of ribbon, string or rope to the ceiling above you. Have it hanging within arm’s reach so you can easily reach up and touch it. Reach out and touch it frequently, until you are used to where it is in your mind.
2. Do a relaxation exercise thoroughly, until you are completely settled. This should only take a few minutes, don't overdo it.
3. Reach out with your imaginary HANDS and pull yourself, hand over hand, up the strong, invisible, imaginary ROPE hanging above you. Try and imagine the feel of a strong, thick, coarse rope in your HANDS. Ignore all sensations felt during projection or it will distract you, break your concentration and ruin your chances for projection.
4. Keep climbing, hand over hand, ever upwards, and you will feel the heavy sensation come over you. You will feel your whole body vibrating but concentrate, single mindedly on climbing your rope.
5. Next you will feel yourself coming free of your body. You will buzz slightly as you feel yourself coming out of your body. You will exit your body in the direction of your imaginary rope and will be hovering above your body. You're free!
The Lift Technique
Once in trance state, imagine yourself floating upwards out of your body. Tell yourself all the time how nice it is to do this, how pleasant, how great it would be to be floating out of the body. Continue to image this floating feeling. Use an aid, for example imagining hundreds of small birds flying up and pulling strings which are attached to your non-physical body. After a while, you will feel your astral body separating from the physical body.
The Anchor Technique
1. The basis of this method is to focus on an anchor point outside of the physical body. Once in a trance state, focus on a point outside of the physical body (e.g. at the end of the bed). You can either simply focus on a point in space or simply any object.
2. Feel how solid it is. Try moving it around with your mind. The focus point should be totally fixed on its spot.
3. Once the focus point is fixed, imagine reaching out with your arms and grabbing hold of the focus point (object) and pull the object towards you, gently at first, and then harder and harder. Gradually as you pull you will feel yourself moving towards the focus point (instead of vice versa). Finally you will find yourself at the focus point outside your physical body.
Astral Traveling is a skill that everyone can do.
With the right mindset and practice you will be on your way to exploring the astral plane.